Thermax strongly believes that it is the responsibility of each individual to be sensitive towards the less privileged and should put in their efforts to make a more inclusive society. In order to achieve this, Thermax provides different avenues / platform, not only for its employees but also it encourages their family members as well to participate in such initiatives.
Employee participation in Akanksha and TFI events:
To provide an opportunity to the employees for interacting with the Children from Akanksha and to have a first-hand experience to learn and understand how the kids are performing academically in spite of the challenges they face, TSIF organises various events. Employees interested in volunteering or participating can register through Thermnet (Thermax's intranet) or can directly get in touch with the Senior Manager – Outreach Programme, who heads the CSR initiatives:
1. Colour my world with Akanksha kids: This is an art fiesta where the employees and their children come together along with Akanksha kids does some creative activities with colours.
2. Volunteering at Akanksha Centre or the Schools: Employees are encouraged to volunteer at the Akanksha centres or the Schools managed by TSIF during their off days when the schools / centers are functioning.
3. Volunteering during the Akanksha Annual Sports day: Employees interested in sports gets the opportunity to participate and volunteer during the Akanksha Annual Sports day.
4. Women's day celebration with Akanksha: Thermax also celebrates Women's day with Akanksha, where specifically the women employees get an opportunity to participate.
5. Volunteering with Teach for India (TFI): Employees also get an opportunity to volunteer with Teach For India in the schools where TFI fellows are teaching.
6. Participation in Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon (SCMM) and Pune International Marathon:
Thermax has been putting up Corporate Challenge team in the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon every year since 2007. This is one of the biggest fund raising and sporting event in Asia, a movement that brings the common man, corporate czars, politicians and film stars to one platform as they support a social cause. On an average around 38000 people participates in SCMM every year. By participating in the event one has to raise fund for the Charity they are supporting. Thermax has been supporting Akanksha and has raised nearly Rs. 40 lakh for Akanksha till date.
The Pune International Marathon is also an annual event where Theremax has been participating every year. The themes have ranged from awareness about HIV AIDS to promotion of sports in Pune City, to saving the Girl Child.
7. Mentoring adolescents from Akanksha:
This is another avenue where employees can hand-hold and guide the children by becoming a mentor to them. The adolescent children from Akanksha looks forward to someone who could guide them in their career path and also help them to face the challenges of the outer world when they are out of their schooling phase. As a mentor one has to spend one to one-and-half hours every week at a pre-fixed time and place and initially Akanksha facilitates the process, once the mentor and mentee are comfortable and have understood each other then they meet on a routine basis.
8. Blood Donation Drive:
One of the most self-less gesture is blood donation, as the donor donates his /her blood thinking that it would save someone's life it doesn't matter whose. Every year on 16th of February in the memory of its Founding CMD, Mr.Rohinton Aga, Thermax conducts blood donation drive across its locations. In Pune Thermax ties up with Sassoon Hospital, Poona Hospital, Deendayal Memorial Hospital for conducting the camp at different locations of Thermax.
9. Joy of Giving Week:
The Joy of Giving Week is the celebration of ‘Giving' which is celebrated throughout the country during the week starting 2nd October. Every year Thermax also participates in the Joy of Giving Week. For the year 2013 as a part of Joy of Giving Week celebration, Thermax tied up with Akanksha, Teach for India and SWaCH (an organisation dedicated towards solid waste management) and had the following activities across its location:
- Colour my World Art Fiesta with Akanksha Children
- Volunteering with Give India
- Cloth and unused material donation drive.
10. Give India Payroll Giving Programme:
At times, even though employees are interested to participate in various social causes they are unable to because of hectic travel schedules or prior commitments. Hence, Thermax has tied up with Give India for the pay roll giving programme.
Once the employee registers for this web enabled programme, then the employee can manage the charity account created in his / her name, by Give India on its web site. Employees who registers for this programme can decide on a monthly contribution that they would like to make for a cause of their own choice. The amount decided by the employee is directly deducted from their salary and get accumulated in their charity account.
Till date over 1500 employees are contributing towards through this payroll giving programme and since 2007 have contributed nearly Rs. 53 lakhs for different causes of their choice.